Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Caribbean soup with lovely bright green color.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bird chiles, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped (can sub with 1/4 tsp crushed pepper flakes or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped and thawed
- 2 limes, juice of, to 3 plus more
- lime juice, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is so hot it shimmers, add onion, garlic and chilies. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, chicken stock, coconut milk, clam juice and heavy cream; bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, partially covered, 30 minutes.
- Add spinach and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until spinach is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in lime juice and salt to taste. Serve hot.