Recipe by Sassy in da South
You can adjust the "hotness" of this hot dip by using either mild, medium or hot salsa. I'm not sure on the ounce size of the salsa. The original recipe called for a "medium jar". Even though this recipe was meant as a dip, we found that it goes good as a topping on hotdogs, much like a coney sauce.
Top Review by Merlot
I have to admit, I didn't follow this recipe because I did not have an avocado. So I substituted with about 3/4 cup of mayo. It turned out great and everyone loved it. I can't wait to make it again using the avocado. Thanks for sharing, Sassy in da South.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese
- 1 medium size avocado
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar salsa (Medium Size)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a crockpot, simmer the refried beans, the chopped avocado, and salsa, along with the Velvetta Cheese (cut cheese in small pieces so it will melt faster).
- In a skillet, brown the hamburger along with the chopped onions and garlic powder.
- After the hamburger is browned, add to the crockpot with the other ingredients and allow to cook for about 20 minutes on the High setting.
- Be sure to stir occasionally to prevent burning or sticking.
- Serve as a dip with tortilla chips or in mini-taco shells.