- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in 1-1/4 cups of the walnuts.
- Add egg, shortening, milk and vanilla.
- Mix just until the ingredients are blended.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle remaining walnuts over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Let stand in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.