Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
this is a great vegetarian sandwich by adding your favorite sandwich spread you can customise it to your liking.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 slices your favorite cheese
- 3 avocados, sliced thin
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups mixed sprouts (optional)
- mayonnaise or honey mustard (or whatever sandwich spread you like)
- fresh ground pepper
- this makes four sandwiches so you will use three pieces of cheese for each sandwich and then use the other ingredients to build the sandwich.
- butter each side of bread for toasting in a skillet.
- toast each sandwich as you would a grilled cheese sandwich.
- slice in half and serve.
Another great recipe from Polly! I actually tried this on a rosemary and onion focaccia... turned out very well.
Wonderful sammie. I omitted the onion, as my husband doesn't like it on his sandwiches. I think the bread choice here is spot on. I chose Jack and cheddar cheeses and the mayo option. Made for Farm Tag in the Photo Forum '10. :)
I recently decided to stop eating meat, and didn't want to give up the convenience of sandwiches... but I had never made a veggie sandwich before, but, wow. This sandwich is amazing... the avocados, cheese, and tomatoes are delicious together. I didn't use onions, because I don't like them, but it's great, I eat it almost every day now.