Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Tim Goodell, chef-owner of Aubergine (New Port Beach), Troquet (Coasta Mesa), and Red Pearl Kitchen (Huntington Beach).
Top Review by Wistaria
This is a good mac n cheese with lots of interesting flavor! My husband really liked it and I liked it as well. It wasn't too hard to make, and it was my first attempt at macaroni and cheese. I only used 1% milk, but next time I would use a higher percentage because I was told that would make it a creamier consistency. My mistake. I liked the topping, but I thought it could have used a little more.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄4 lb montgomery cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice (or use a mild Cheddar)
- 2 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon black truffle oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; lightly butter a 13x9 inch baking dish and place on a foil-lined sheet pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling over high heat; cook pasta until al dente—8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- In a saucepan over med-high heat, heat the milk until almost scalding.
- In another saucepan over med-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter; add to it the flour; cook/stir until smooth and straw-colored, about 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium; whisk the hot milk into the flour mixture and continue whisking until smooth.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to make sure the milk at the bottom doesn’t burn; then remove from heat.
- Add in the garlic, sharp Cheddar, Montgomery Cheddar, and Gorgonzola cheese; mix carefully.
- Add in the Tabasco and truffle oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Combine the Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle over the macaroni mixture.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until bubbling and browned.
- Garnish individual servings with chives.