1/1 Photo of California Sunshine Cake
1 hr 5 mins
Chef George S.'s Note:
Much like the Orange Kiss-Me Cake, this recipe uses an entire orange, raisins and walnuts. I like to substitute hazelnuts. Recipe can be halved for an 8" X 8" cake. Check for doneness at about 35 min. for smaller cake. I use organic oranges and wash them thoroughly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Juice the oranges, reserving juice for topping.
- 2Put the orange rind, the raisins and the nuts through the medium blade of a meat grinder (or process with steel blade in food processor until a coarse grind is achieved).
- 3Combine butter and sugar in mixer bowl and beat together until fluffy.
- 4Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until completely incorporated.
- 5Combine salt, flour and baking soda and sift together.
- 6Add flour and buttermilk alternately in 3 portions, mixing on low after each addition.
- 7Fold in orange, raisin, nut mixture until completely combined.
- 8Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" X 13" pan or a bundt pan.
- 9Bake for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- 10While cake is still hot, pierce all over with a fork.
- 11Mix orange juice, sugar and cinnamon and carefully pour mixture over cake. (This is harder on the bundt cake -- be patient).
- 12When cake has cooled, remove from pan.
- 13Refrigerate leftover cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Sunshine Cake
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.6
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.1 mg
- Sodium 285.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 23.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g