Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry. In Mexico, shrimp tacos are traditionally made with beer battered fried shrimp. Delicious, but not particularly healthy. This recipe is lightened up (no frying) and uses Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onions for a hearty flair. And the addition of fresh ingredients such as red, ripe tomatoes, baby spinach, avocado and goat cheese gives these tacos a fresh California twist!
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1 lb) package Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion (1 lb)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb fresh medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails removed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 green onions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 cup fresh Baby Spinach, cut into chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- To prepare the tortillas, wrap loosely in a damp kitchen towel and place in a preheated 250 degree oven.
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large (12-inch), non-stick skillet. When the oil is hot, add the entire package of Simply Potatoes Diced Potato with Onion; spread out evenly. Cover and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes, ensuring that the potatoes are browning evenly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the sour cream, about ½ of the taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons lime juice, half of the chopped cilantro and the salt in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Toss the remaining taco seasoning and ground cumin with the shrimp. After the potatoes have been cooking for 10 minutes and are nice and brown, add the seasoned shrimp, green onions and the remaining chopped cilantro and stir gently. Continue cooking the potato-shrimp mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, or until the shrimp is cooked through.
- Assemble the tacos by topping each warm tortilla with some of the shrimp and potato mixture, a pinch of the spinach, some tomato and avocado, a few crumbles of goat cheese and a drizzle of the cilantro crema. Enjoy!
What a delicious recipe.
Now THIS is how you do tacos! Great recipe and Simply Potatoes makes it authentic!