1/2 Photos of California Style Eggs Benedict
A rich and delicious version of eggs benedict - also happens to be vegetarian. You'll love the sauce. TIPS: Lime juice, instead of lemon, adds a little more complexity to the flavor of your sauce. Do not attempt to half the sauce recipe - all of the boiling water is needed to heat the yolks to the appropriate temperature. If you want to make this for two - or one, just freeze the rest of the hollandaise sauce for future use over asparagus, brussel sprouts or broccoli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1melt butter slowly - and keep it warm.
- 2barely heat the lime (or lemon) juice.
- 3have a small pot of water boiling and a tablespoon with which to measure when ready.
- 4place 3 egg yolks in the top of a double boiler over medium heat (over - not in - hot water).
- 5beat the yolks with a wire whisk until they begin to thicken.
- 6add 1 tablespoon boiling water.
- 7beat again until the eggs begin to thicken and add another tablespoon boiling water.
- 8repeat this process until you have added two more tablespoons boiling water. (total 4 tablespoons boiling water to the 3 egg yolks).
- 9then, beat in the warm lime (or lemon) juice. remove double boiler from heat and beat the sauce well with a wire whisk while slowly adding the melted butter, salt and dash of ceyenne pepper.
- 10keep the sauce over the hot water - but off the burner and lightly cover it to keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- 11remove the avocado peel(s) and thinly slice.
- 12cook 6 eggs - lightly on both sides - over medium low heat - so that the center is just a bit runny and the whites are fully cooked. try not to break the yolks.
- 13slice and toast the english muffin halves.
- 14place two toasted muffin halves on each warmed plate, then one egg on each half, then arrange a few slices of avocado on top of each egg. spoon the hollandaise sauce over the top of both - and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Style Eggs Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.8
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 693.1 mg
- Sodium 984.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 22.5 g