Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Crunchy nuts and chewy fried fruit give character to this colourful dish
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons raisins, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- With spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2" thick shells.
- Coarsely chop pulp and reserve.
- In saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, cook zucchini halves for 3 minutes until tender, but firm.
- Drain well.
- Place cut sides up in lightly greased baking dish.
- In skillet, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Saute onion for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add carrots along with reserved chopped zucchini.
- Stir fry for 3 minute or until softened.
- Add walnuts, bread crumbs, raisins and half of the cheese.
- Stir well.
- Spoon into zucchini halves mounding mixture in the shells.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350F oven 8-10 minutes or until heated through and the cheese melts.