Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is a different twist on the overnight breakfast strata concept. Crabmeat, shrimp, artichokes, and pesto bread cubes give this a unique taste. Plan ahead - once prepared, this needs to sit in the fridge overnight before baking.
Top Review by Bergy
This is so great - I put it together yesterday afternoon and popped it in the oven 35 minutes before brunch this AM (I let the strata sit at room temperature for 15 minutes to ensure the dish would not crack when I put it in the hot oven). The pesto cubes are just the right touch. I cut the recipe in half with no problem. The cooking time was the same because I used a smaller dish and the depth of the contents was the same. This is a special recipe for special company. If they love seafood & Artichoke hearts they will love this dish Thanks Heather Feather for sharing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, shelled,deveined
- 6 slices white bread
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce (store bought)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained well
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained,quartered
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13" casserole and set aside.
- melt butter and saute mushrooms and onions until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink, stirring often.
- SPread 3 slices of the bread with the pesto sauce, then top each with another bread slice, pressing together so thick stick.
- Cut pesto sandwiches into small cubes and layer half of them in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on top, then pour all of the mushrooms on top, then the crabmeat and the artichokes.
- Top with remaining bread cubes, then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Beat eggs, add milk, salt, and cayene pepper; beat well.
- Pour wet mixture over the bread mixture, covering evenly.
- You may need to poke some some parts of the bread to get them wet- you want everything to be moistened with the egg mixture.
- Cover and chill overnight (or at least 8 hours).
- Heat oven to 350 F, remove cover, and bake casserole for about 35-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let rest 5 miutes before slicing to firm up and cool slightly.
- Cut into 12 squares.