Recipe by JillAZ
This comes from "Pacific Fresh" one of my favorite cookbooks. The flavors are very fresh and delicious. This is a little on the sweet side but very refreshing. Great with grilled chicken or fish. Enjoy!
Top Review by mrisseeuw
This is a standard mix for a California salad so it's the dressing that gives it's identity. Although very tasty it was too thick to spread on salad well. I thined it with lemon juice, water might work also. I also wanted it sweeter so I increased the sugar by 1 T.
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, torn
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 avocados
- 2 fresh oranges
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing:.
- To a food processor or blender add all dressing ingredients except oil.
- Whiz together.
- With processor running, slowly add oil to dressing ingredients. Whiz until dressing emulsifies.
- Store in refrigerator until needed.
- To make salad:.
- Place greens in a large salad bowl.
- Thinly slice onion and separate into rings, add to bowl.
- Peel, pit and slice avocadoes. Add to bowl.
- Peel oranges and cut into bite sized pieces. Add to bowl. You may use one can of mandarin oranges, drained, if you don't have fresh oranges.
- Toss all salad ingredients together.
- Add dressing just before serving and toss again.
- Makes 3/4 cup dressing and 6 servings of salad.