Recipe by AbbaGav
This was originally called Mexican Salad when my Grandmother found it on the back of a Fritos bag when I was a kid. The original recipe is already on the site, but we've modified it to our own tastes over the years, and made up our own dressing substitute as we can't find a kosher version of the original bottled dressing.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I love taco salads but have never used baked beans in them. I really wanted to make this, but I didn't have any lettuce... so I used brown rice as a base, and followed the rest of the recipe. I really appreciated the recipe of the dressing! I did add a bit more vinegar to make the dressing more tangy. The result was a delicious lunch that I know I'll make often! Thanks for posting, AbbaGav-
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces vegetarian baked beans, slightly drained
- 2 cups corn chips, slightly crushed
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and onion powder to make the dressing.
- Cut and prepare all the ingredients.
- Ideally, serve all the ingredients separately so everyone can mix their own salad (leaving off anything they don't like) and so the chips and lettuce don't get soggy in the dressing. If the salad will be eaten immediately and completely (no soggy, ruined leftovers) then it is ok to premix it in a bowl.