Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
California Rolls are great for snacks!
- 4 nori
- sushi rice
- 8 teaspoons ocean trout or 8 teaspoons flying fish roe
- 1 -2 cucumber, cut into thin, lengthwise slices
- 8 large shrimp, cooked, shelled, veins and tails removed (king prawns)
- 1 -2 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 4 -8 lettuce leaves, torn (optional)
- 1. Lay 1 nori sheet on a rolling mat and put 3/4 cup (4 oz/125g) sushi rice on it. Spread rice over nori sheet, leaving 3/4 inch (2cm) of bare nori at far side and making a small ledge of rice in front of this bare strip.
- 2. Spoon 2 teaspoons roe along center of rice, using back of a spoon to spread. Add lettuce if desired.
- 3. Lay 2 shrimp along center, with one-quarter of cucumber strips.
- 4. Lay one-quarter of avocado slices along center. Add one-quarter of lettuce.
- 5. Roll mat over once, away from you, pressing ingredients in to keep roll firm, leaving the 3/4-inch (2-cm) strip of nori rice-free.
- 6. Covering roll (but not rice-free strip of nori), hold rolling mat in position and press all around to make roll firm.
- 7. Lift up top of rolling mat and turn roll over a little more so that strip of nori on far side joins other edge of nori to seal roll. Use your fingers to make sure roll is properly closed.
- 8. Roll entire roll once more, and use finger pressure to shape roll in a circle, an oval, or a square.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll in half, then cut each half in half again. Then cut each quarter in half crosswise to make a total of 8 equal-size pieces. Cut gently to maintain shape.