This is one daring deviled egg recipe from Kathy Casey's D’Lish Deviled Eggs. Tobiko is the Japanese word for the flying fish roe. It is most widely known for its use in creating certain types of sushi. It boasts a red-orange color, a mild smoky or salty taste and a crunchy texture. Nori Komi Furikake can be purchased at any Asian market or even Amazon.
My Private Note
egg hal ...
Units: US | Metric
- 12 hard-cooked eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon purchased wasabi paste (or 1 tablespoon wasabi powder mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces alaska king crab meat or 1/3-1/2 cup alaska king crab meat
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into 24 fans (See Tip in Instruction #4)
- Nori Komi Furikake (sesame seed-seaweed sprinkle)
- 2 tablespoons tobiko (flying fish roe)
- 1Halve the eggs lengthwise and transfer the yolks to a small bowl. Set the egg white halves on a platter.
- 2In a mixing bowl, mash the avocado well with a fork, then add the yolks and mash to a smooth consistency. Add the mayonnaise, wasabi paste, and salt, and mix until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a plain or large star tip, then pipe the mixture evenly into the egg white halves. Alternatively, fill the eggs with a spoon, dividing the filling evenly.
- 3Top each egg half with a little crabmeat, a cucumber fan, a sprinkle of furikake and about 1/4 teaspoon tobiko.
- 4Tip: To make tiny cucumber fans, quarter a 4-inch piece of English cucumber lengthwise. Then cut each quarter into 18 thin slices -- the goal is to get 3 tiny slices per “fan.”.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Roll Deviled Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (1136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 60.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 114.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: