Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not your normal burger by any stretch of the imagination, but for a sushi lover these are great. Wonderful served with an asian inspired coleslaw. You can also use real crabmeat when you are feeling extravagant.
For the Burgers
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb surimi (imitaion crabmeat)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 crusty rolls
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled,pitted and sliced
For the Wasabi Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- In a bowl, beat eggs, stir in 1/3 cup of the bread crumbs, onions salt, pepper, mix in the imitation crabmeat.
- Shape into 4 1/2 nch thick patties, sprinkle remaining bread crumbs in a shallow dish, dip patties into crumbs, turning and patting to coat.
- In a non stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry patties turning once, until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Mix to gether the mayonnaise ingredients, spread about 1/4 on each of the rolls, layer cucumber, patties then avocado on the bottom half of roll, sandwich with top.
I just estimated quantities and ended up with a thick breadcrumb egg mixture. This worked quite well in patty formation and I didn't bother to roll the patties into more breadcrumbs. The avocado and cucumber were great additions.
This was a great recipe, but I had difficulty with the patties holding together correctly and couldn't really "bread" the patties before cooking. This may have been a result of mincing the surimi too much. I ended up adding an additional egg and some more bread crumbs to get the mixture to hold together and this worked well. We particularly liked the addition of the green onions in this...everyone preferred a Japanese salad dressing instead of the wasabi mayo, but I use "real" wasabi and it may just have been too nose-clearing. We'll make these again!
I do like wasabi and this was a great way to use it. I could not get the surimi mixture to bond together before cooking, however, once in the skillet it cooked together into patties. This was very well received.