Recipe by Sharon123
All the fresh taste of California! You may use Wehani rice in this recipe, which is a hybrid grown in California. When cooked it turns a deep russet color. The flavors here are earthy and complex. Adapted from The New Basics Cookbook, a great find!.
Top Review by kitty.rock
Well, DH really loved this rice dish ~ me, I liked it but I think I need to give it another try. But 5-stars since it made my DH so very happy. I used canned beets as I was short on time, and DH especially loved that part. Thanks Sharon123 for the hubby-pleasing dish. Made for TAG IT RED, Feb 2009.
- 1 cup basmati rice (or Wehani-a red hybrid grown in California)
- 6 radishes, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 beets, cooked, peeled, and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice according to directions on package. You should have about 3 cups. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the rice, radishes, bell pepper, red onion, beets, chives, and dill in a large bowl. Toss well.
- Make the dressing:.
- Whisk the vinegar, horseradish, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Gradually add the oil, whisking until it is smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss until well blended. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for a few hours to blend the flavors. Enjoy!