Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious! Easy! Rich tasting! Even steak & potatoes men will enjoy this tasty twist on pot roast. I try to make this recipe weekly, and it's better the 2nd day. Can be made in Crockpot. Received this from a church member who is a Home Economics professor. I first made this for my boyfriend, who is married to me now...partially for my cooking, he jokes!
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 3 lbs pot roast
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 (30 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or 1 cup other red wine
- 1 package spaghetti sauce mix
- italian seasoning
- 4 potatoes (optional)
- 5 carrots (optional)
- Heat the salad oil in a Dutch oven and brown the meat slowly.
- Sprinkle with the seasoned salt.
- Pour the tomatoes and wine over the meat.
- Add the spaghetti sauce mix (McCormick's is good), Italian seasonings and stir until mix is dissolved.
- Add celery and onion.
- Add bell pepper, potatoes and carrots, if desired.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- Cook longer for more tender roast, I usually cook mine 4 hours.
- Serve the remaining tomato-wine sauce as gravy; thicken if desired.