From topsecretrecipes.com I've never even tried the soup at the California Pizza Kitchen, but it sounds good. I'm posting it as much for my reference as anyone elses! ;) Vegetable broth may be substituted for the chicken broth to make this soup vegan.
- 2 cups split peas
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 2 14.5 oz. cans)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- snipped green onion, for garnish
- Rinse and sort the split peas.
- Add them to a large pot with 6 cups of water, chicken broth, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, sugar, parsley, pepper, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the peas are soft.
- While the peas are cooking, combine the barley with 6 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the barley is soft and most of the water has been absorbed.
- When the split pea mixture has become a thick soup, use a handheld blender to puree the peas until the mixture is smooth.
- A standard blender or food processor may also be used to puree the soup in batches.
- This step may also be omitted.
- Drain the the remaining water from the barley and add the barley to the split pea mixture.
- Add the carrots and celery and continue to simmer the soup for 15 to 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, cover the soup, and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish each serving with the snipped green onion.