1/2 Photos of California Pizza Kitchen's Dakota Smashed Pea & Barley Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
From topsecretrecipes.com I've never even tried the soup at the California Pizza Kitchen, but it sounds good. I'm posting it as much for my reference as anyone elses! ;) Vegetable broth may be substituted for the chicken broth to make this soup vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups split peas
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 2 14.5 oz. cans)
- 1/3 cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup barley
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- snipped green onion, for garnish
- 1Rinse and sort the split peas.
- 2Add them to a large pot with 6 cups of water, chicken broth, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, sugar, parsley, pepper, and thyme.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the peas are soft.
- 4While the peas are cooking, combine the barley with 6 cups of water in a saucepan.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the barley is soft and most of the water has been absorbed.
- 6When the split pea mixture has become a thick soup, use a handheld blender to puree the peas until the mixture is smooth.
- 7A standard blender or food processor may also be used to puree the soup in batches.
- 8This step may also be omitted.
- 9Drain the the remaining water from the barley and add the barley to the split pea mixture.
- 10Add the carrots and celery and continue to simmer the soup for 15 to 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 11Turn off the heat, cover the soup, and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- 12Garnish each serving with the snipped green onion.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Pizza Kitchen's Dakota Smashed Pea & Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 696.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 16.2 g