Recipe by Sharon123
The employees at Pizza Kitchens rate this number one! What's not to love with the crunch of the jicama, corn chips, and lettuces; the explosions of different flavors with every bite; and the contrast of the sweet-and-spicy barbecue sauce with the cool ranch dressing...mmmm...mmmm!
Top Review by julianna818
Delish! I made a few changes though: I used less mayo and more buttermilk, I used store bought tortilla strips, and I used fake chicken to make it vegetarian. I like to use Jack Daniels BBQ sauce to pour over the chicken. Also, adding avocado is a MUST! The dressing is even better the next day!
FRIED TORTILLA STRIPS
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 12 corn tortillas, cut 1/4-inch strips
GARDEN HERB RANCH DRESSING
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cold water
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon thinly-sliced scallion top, and whites
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced fresh basil
GRILLED GARLIC BBQ CHICKEN
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz ea)
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality sweet-&-spicy barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce (cored, rinsed and dried and cut into thin 1/8" strips)
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce leaf (separated, trimmed, rinsed, dried, and cut thin strips)
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, cut 1/8-inch strips
- 1 lb jicama, cut 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch by 3/4-inch strips
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed drained
- 1 cup canned sweet white corn kernels, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dices
- 1⁄2 cup good-quality sweet-&-spicy barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make the Fried Tortilla Strips: In a deep, heavy frying pan, heat several inches of vegetable oil to a temperature of 375 degrees. Working in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding, carefully add the tortilla strips to the hot oil, submerging them with a metal skimmer or slotted spoon. Fry the tortilla strips until evenly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully lift them out with the skimmer or slotted spoon and transfer them to paper towels to drain and cool. Set aside, uncovered.
- To Make the Garden Herb Ranch Dressing: In a mixing bowl, use a fork to stir together the mustard and cold water, forming a paste. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add the remaining dressing ingredients to the bowl and, using a handheld electric mixer at low speed or a whisk, blend together just until smooth, taking care not to incorporate too much air into the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To Make the Grilled Garlic and BBQ Chicken: Preheat a stovetop grill or the broiler. In a mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, and salt. Turn the chicken breasts in this marinade and leave to marinate at room temperature for about 15 minutes. Grill or broil the chicken breasts until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Chill thoroughly in the refrigerator. Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4-inch cubes and, in a bowl, toss with the barbecue sauce to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To Make the Salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss together the lettuces, basil, jicama, Monterey Jack cheese, beans, corn, cilantro, dressing, and half of the Fried Tortilla Strips. Transfer the salads to chilled serving plates. Surround each salad with diced tomatoes and the remaining Fried Tortilla Strips. Top each salad with chunks of Grilled Garlic BBQ Chicken and drizzle the chicken with the barbecue sauce. Garnish with the scallion.