Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My absolute favorite salad at any restaurant. Unlike a typical Waldorf in that they serve it with Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette rather than a creamy dressing. So easy to throw together, too - grill the chicken a day before or even while putting together the salad ingredients! Makes 2 dinner-sized salads - adjust the amounts accordingly if you prefer less greens. The dressing recipe makes more like 8 servings as I like to keep extra on hand. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, chilled (may use pre-packaged, pre-sliced if in time crunch, although home-grilled is always best)
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 1⁄2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 granny smith apple, chopped in bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced (I omit this due to personal preference)
- 1⁄2 cup candied walnuts (don't skip, the best part!)
- crumbled gorgonzola
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup olive oil (I tend to decrease the oil and it's still tasty)
- For dressing:.
- Whisk together all ingredients well.
- Chill until serving.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, shake or whisk prior to serving. (It may store longer than this, but it never stays around long enough without being eaten for me to know!).
- For the salad:.
- Toss field greens, fruits and celery, if included, in desired amount of dressing.
- Place evenly divided portions on two large, chilled plates.
- Top with sliced, chilled chicken breast, candied walnuts, and Gorgonzola.
- Voila! Enjoy!
Excellent recipe!!! We omitted the chicken (so instead of an enfree salad it became a side salad to our actual entree: pork chops) and used crumbled goats cheese instead (but only because we couldn't find the cheese in the recipe at our grocery store)
Loved this salad with all the fruits and chicken. Everything blends together perfectly. Definitely add the candied nuts. They are wonderful. Used MAG's Extra Special Extra Delicious Candied Pecans and made them a day ahead.
Excellent recipe except I made my dressing by using store products.<br/><br/>i mixed 3 (16 oz ) bottles of olive garden dressing ($ 3.28 ea ) @ walmart with 1 ( 17 oz ) bottle of colvita red balsaimic vinegar ( $ 3.44 ) @ walmart. It was a perfect match.