Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This sweet/sour mildly hot chutney is great served with curried chicken or pork.
- 5 medium peaches, peeled,seeded sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried figs or 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Wash 5 (1/2 pint) jars in hot soapy water; rinse.
- Keep hot until needed.
- Prepare self-sealing lids as manufacturer directs.
- Ladle hot chutney into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Release trapped air.
- Wipe rim of jar with a clean damp cloth.
- Attach self-sealing lid.
- Repeat with remaining jars.
- Place filled jars on a rack in a large pot of boiling water.
- Water should cover jars 1 to 2 inches and have an additional 2 inches for boiling space.
- Cover pot.
- Bring water to a boil.
- At sea level, boil 10 minutes.
- For every 1000 feet altitude, add one minute to boiling time.
- Store up to 1 year.
This is fabulous and is great on pork, chicken, lamb. Even good on a cheese with crackers. easy to make and great gift.