Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From The Big Book of Breakfast, 2003, by Maryana Vollstet. Use the rind and all! An organic orange would be best for this.
- 1 large whole organic orange, washed and unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates (use kitchen shears)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut orange into chunks and remove seeds. Place chunks in a food processor work bowl and process until finely ground. Add juice, dates, egg, and butter and process until blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Pour orange mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.