Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Good version of a Nicoise Salad. Slightly modified version of a recipe found in The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook. This makes a great dinner on a hot summer night.
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 709.77 ml green beans, cooked and chilled
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 473.18 ml canned solid albacore tuna, chilled
- 118.29 ml kalamata olive, pitted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 14.79 ml fresh tarragon, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh chives, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, minced
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml dried basil
- 177.44 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Blend vinegar, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper, mustard and basil thoroughly.
- Beat in the oil.
- Line a shallow bowl or dish with the large outer leaves of lettuce.
- Break remaining lettuce into bowl and toss with 2 tbls of the dressing.
- Separately season beans, tomatoes and tuna with dressing and arrange ove lettuce.
- Garnish with olives, eggs and anchovies.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 dressing over all and sprinkle with the herbs.
Pleasant, but the dressing was a little mild for us - added more vinegar. The use of fresh herbs was really nice, but I'd expected more veggies - maybe some cucumber, and certainly avocado - since this is a California Nicoise. Thanks for sharing.