Recipe by Simply Chris
Good version of a Nicoise Salad. Slightly modified version of a recipe found in The Los Angeles Times California Cookbook. This makes a great dinner on a hot summer night.
Top Review by dianegrapegrower
Pleasant, but the dressing was a little mild for us - added more vinegar. The use of fresh herbs was really nice, but I'd expected more veggies - maybe some cucumber, and certainly avocado - since this is a California Nicoise. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 3 cups green beans, cooked and chilled
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups canned solid albacore tuna, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend vinegar, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper, mustard and basil thoroughly.
- Beat in the oil.
- Line a shallow bowl or dish with the large outer leaves of lettuce.
- Break remaining lettuce into bowl and toss with 2 tbls of the dressing.
- Separately season beans, tomatoes and tuna with dressing and arrange ove lettuce.
- Garnish with olives, eggs and anchovies.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 dressing over all and sprinkle with the herbs.