Recipe by TigerJo~
This recipe came from a dietitian I know; her original recipe came from Bon Appetit. I haven't made this for awhile, but I tried to include the time it takes to slice and grate the cheeses within the prep time. Total servings should be at least six, perhaps eight.
Top Review by Princess Tomato
I absolutely loved this recipe. I, too, left out the olives, as I don't like them. The other review suggested using tortilla chips, so I did that. It was crunchy and PERFECT. I think Fritos would have been just as good, but I enjoyed the tortilla chips. Thank you SO much for the great recipe. I'm sure we're going to make this very often. Update: Have I mentioned that I love this stuff? I could seriously eat the whole freakin' dish of it. I thought I would throw a suggestion in there, though, for those who like things pretty spicy like me. I doubled the green chilies, and it was perfectly spicy. Yum, yum!
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 29.58 ml chili powder
- 709.77 ml tomato sauce
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml kosher salt
- 118.29 ml sliced black olives (extra may be offered for garnish)
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas, quartered
- 473.18 ml small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 226.79 g sliced monterey jack cheese
- 236.59 ml grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- extra sliced black olives (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; Grease (or spray with non-stick pan spray) a 3qt casserole dish; set aside.
- In large skillet, saute beef with onion and garlic over medium heat (in batches if necessary) and drain; sprinkle chili powder over meat and mix well.
- Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, olives, and green chiles; simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- Beat cottage cheese and egg together until blended.
- In bottom of 3qt casserole dish, spread 1/3 of meat; layer with half of jack cheese, half cottage cheese& egg, half tortillas, then next 3rd of meat.
- Continue layering with remaining jack cheese, c/c, remaining tortillas, ending with remaining 1/3 meat; sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted; serve with sour cream, sliced black olives and green onion if desired (recommended).