1/1 Photo of California (Mexican) Tortilla Casserole
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe came from a dietitian I know; her original recipe came from Bon Appetit. I haven't made this for awhile, but I tried to include the time it takes to slice and grate the cheeses within the prep time. Total servings should be at least six, perhaps eight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (extra may be offered for garnish)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas, quartered
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces sliced monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream (optional)
- extra sliced black olives (optional)
- chopped green onion (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; Grease (or spray with non-stick pan spray) a 3qt casserole dish; set aside.
- 2In large skillet, saute beef with onion and garlic over medium heat (in batches if necessary) and drain; sprinkle chili powder over meat and mix well.
- 3Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, olives, and green chiles; simmer over very low heat for 15 minutes.
- 4Beat cottage cheese and egg together until blended.
- 5In bottom of 3qt casserole dish, spread 1/3 of meat; layer with half of jack cheese, half cottage cheese& egg, half tortillas, then next 3rd of meat.
- 6Continue layering with remaining jack cheese, c/c, remaining tortillas, ending with remaining 1/3 meat; sprinkle top with cheddar cheese.
- 7Bake, uncovered, at 350° until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted; serve with sour cream, sliced black olives and green onion if desired (recommended).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California (Mexican) Tortilla Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 821.8
- Calories from Fat 437
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.3 g
- Cholesterol 204.7 mg
- Sodium 1975.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 58.2 g