Recipe by peachez
The traditional mac and cheese, If you add any other cheese's ( Pepper Jack, Munster, Gouda ) it's non traditional but oh so good too. Prep time includes the sauteing times
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, divided into 1/4 cups
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (or your favourite thickener)
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1⁄2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided,3 1/2 cups and 1 cup (or any combination of your favourite cheeses)
- kosher salt
- fresh pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 1⁄3 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs or 1 1⁄3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion.
- Saute 3 minutes Stir in flour, stirring for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and half and half, stirring and cooking until slightly thickened about 6 minutes.
- Stir in mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Place half of cooked macaroni into baking dish, pour in half of sauce, mixing well Add rest of macaroni, mixing remaining sauce in.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake for approx 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add breadcrumbs stirring till lightly toasted.
- Remove dish from oven.
- Sprinkle crumbs on top.
- Broil until crumbs are golden brown about 1 minute or so.
- Remove from oven and serve.