Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Try to use a salsa that is fairly thick. If using one that is kind of watery, drain off some of the liquid so the bread stays crunchy.
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough bread (1/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 8 ounces coarsely grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 large avocado, cut into twelve 1/4-inch thick slices (about 1/2 lb.)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Put 4 slices on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Spread salsa on the 4 slices; distribute the cheese evenly over the salsa.
- Top with the avocado slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, buttered side up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the sandwiches in the skillet (do this in batches if necessary), cover, and cook 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese begins to melt.
- Uncover, and turn sanwiches over with a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
- Cook 1 minute or until the undersides are golden brown.
- Turn the sandwich again, press with spatula, and cook 30 seconds or until the cheese has melted completely.
- Serve immediately.