Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Moms Grey Cookbook posted for posterities sake.
- 4 cups brazil nuts, whole
- 4 cups walnuts, whole
- 2 (6 ounce) jars glace cherries, small
- 1 (6 ounce) jar glazed pineapple, small
- 4 cups dates, pitted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients over fruit and lift from bottom to stir.
- Bake in well greased angel food pan at 250 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until well browned on top.
I made half the mixture and cooked it for 1 hour. I used pecans instead of walnuts. It tasted great - exactly as I hoped it would taste. The only problem was that when I tried to cut it, the cake started to fall apart. I will use a higher batter to fruit/nut ratio next time and rate it then.