Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very Elegant for that Holiday Party
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 (6 ounce) canchopped imitation crabmeat
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons snipped chives
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- assorted cracker
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in the flour, salt and paprika until smooth.
- Gradually add cream, milk and wine or broth.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the crab, mushrooms and chives; heat through.
- Stir in cheese just until melted.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over crab mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crackers.