Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A longtime favorite sandwich of mine, since first trying the California Sandwich many moons ago at a little "healthfood" deli stand in Pacific Beach, California. This is my version. Use Easy Microwave Bacon for ease of preparation. Also good with thinly sliced tomatoes, in place of the cucumbers. I hope you enjoy!
- 8 slice whole wheat bread or 8 slice sourdough bread
- 8 slice deli smoked turkey (or leftover turkey breast slices)
- 4 slice provolone cheese
- 4 slice crisp cooked bacon (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced into thin strips (optional)
- 16 slice cucumbers, very thinly sliced (or thin tomato slices)
- 118.29 ml alfalfa sprout (or lettuce)
- whipped cream cheese
- Toast bread lightly.
- Spread 4 slices toasted bread with mayo, and the other 4 slices with cream cheese.
- Assemble the sandwiches:.
- For each sandwich use one slice mayo toasted bread and one slice cream cheese toasted bread. Per sandwich use 2 smoked turkey slices, 1 provolone cheese slice, 1 bacon, avocado strips, 4 thin cucumber or tomato slices, and sprouts or lettuce.
This was really, really good! I used Panera sourdough bread with smoked turkey, reduced fat swiss cheese, turkey bacon, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cucumbers, fat free mayo and light cream cheese. My picky eater asked if it was hard to make because he wanted me to make it more often. That is big coming from him! Thanks for the great sandwich and the rave reviews! YUM!
The California Club is one of my favorite sandwiches--and this version (with lots of great options!) is totally delicious!! My DH and I enjoyed ours with leftover chicken, provolone cheese, avocado, tomato slices, lettuce, and mayo...on waffles! When we were in college (back in the disco era!), our college snack shop used waffles--instead of bread--to make their California Club Sandwiches...so we've been eating them that way ever since. No So Cal Gal's cookbook would be complete without a California Club Sandwich recipe in it :),and this one's a keeper! Thanks so much, BecR, for a great recipe--and a trip down memory lane!!