Recipe by Debby H
I found this recipe in a cookbook 25 years ago and have been using it ever since. Everyone in my family loves it and it keeps for several days. It contains avacado, which I leave out. To make the pita pockets easy to fill I microwave them 5 - 10 seconds so they are pliable. Instead of buying a whole package of cheese, I use 2 stick of string cheese. Hope you enjoy.
Top Review by greksgirl
I also made this recipe years ago and was thinking about it the other day so I dug it out and plan to serve it next menu rotation. My DH couldn't care less about the avocado so I swipe all of his(best part). I think it might also be good with steamed broccoli instead of frozen. I could serve the rest of the broccoli as a side.
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 oz)
- 1 egg, hard-cooked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 (6 inch) pita pockets, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain broccoli.
- In medium bowl, combine chicken, broccoli, avocado, rice, tomatoes, cheese and egg.
- In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustard and celery seed. Pour over mixture and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to blend.
- To serve, spoon approx 1/2 cup mixture into each pock bread half.