It really does taste like a Ca. Cheeseburger! You can skip baking and just serve it staight from the skillet if your short on time. My kids really love it.
- 1 lb rotini pasta (or similar shaped pasta)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (about 5-6 small tomatoes)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 -3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons mustard
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, DIVIDED (or shredded American cheese, divided)
- Prepare pasta according ton package directions; drain. Do NOT rinse.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion. Drain fat.
- Return beef and onion mixture to hot skillet. Over low-med heat, stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, milk, mayo, ketchup, relish, mustard, pepper, salt, garlic powder, oregano and 2 1/2 cups cheese. Stir and cook until cheese is melted. Add hot cooked pasta and gently mix together.
- At this point either:.
- a) sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; heat through and serve. OR.
- b) Pour into a 13" x 9" or larger baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese ans bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.