Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a cheesey, rice dish with a zip to it from the green chilies.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups freshly cooked white rice
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 large bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained & halved lengthwise leaving seeds
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat over 375.
- grease 12x8x2 pan or 2 qt casserole . saute onions in butter 5 minutes until golden.
- remove from heat, stir in fluffy white rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, bay leaf, salt and pepper, toss lightly.
- layer half the rice mixture in casserole, then half chilies, cover with 1/2 cheese, repeat.
- bake uncovered 25 minutes until hot. sprinkle with parsley.
- serves 8.