Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Serve as a side with pork roast and corn on the cob.
- 2 cups chicken stock (or low-sodium chicken broth)
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups light sour cream
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion (include some tender green tops)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large zucchini, unpeeled, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tomatoes, seeded, sliced, and drained
- 4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add in rice; lower heat to low and cook, covered, about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream, chiles, onions, oregano, salt, pepper, and parsley together.
- In a 4-quart casserole dish that has been coated lightly with cooking spray, add half of each of the following in layers: rice, sour cream mixture, zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Repeat the layers ending with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
I have looked for this recipe for several years now - I'm so glad to have finally found it! A dear old lady in our church used to make this for pot lucks when I was just a child. Her's didn't have oregano in it but it was a tasty addition. This turned out beautifully and reminded me of my childhood. Thanks so much for a recipe I'll turn to again and again!