Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from the kitchen of Alice Holland
Make and share this California Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Cream shortening, add sugar gradually and cream well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in vanilla, walnuts, and dates and grated orange peel.
- Pour into well-greased spring-form or angel food pan. Bake one hour at 375.
- Allow cake to cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Pour (spoon) sauce over cake and let stand for several hours or overnight.
- To make sauce: Squeeze juice and pulp of 3 oranges. Add sugar. Bring to boil and simmer until pulp becomes transparent. Pour warm syrup over cake 10 minutes after it comes out of oven.