1/1 Photo of California Cactus Salad
This is a Latin inspired recipe adapted from Cooking Light magazine. I sometimes can find cactus pads in Walmart.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium cactus pieces, pads (nopales)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (I mince about 1 tbls. chipotle pepper in adobe)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 6 cups leaves lettuce, shredded
- 6 tablespoons queso fresco, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1Peel thorns from cactus pads with a vegetable peeler, leaving the green skin; cut cactus pads into thin strips.
- 2Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the cactus and garlic, saute 7-8 minutes or until cactus is tender. Combine the cactus mixture, beans and the next 7 ingredients(beans through tomatoes).
- 3Arrange 1 1/2 cups lettuce on each of 4 plates, top each with 1/2 cup cactus mixture, 1 1/2 tbls. cheese, and about 2 teaspoons sour cream. Enjoy!
- 4Yield: 4 servings.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Cactus Salad
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.7
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 4.6 mg
- Sodium 145.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: