Recipe by cookiedog
This is how my mom made BLT's while we were growing up. You could substitute sprouts for the lettuce.
Top Review by BecR
What a delicious sandwich! We loved the huge slabs of tomato and avocado on this sandwich-- it was a bit messy to eat, but soo delicious!! I crisped my bacon in the microwave and used the toaster for the bread, as it is still too hot here to use the oven. Also no lemon. The turkey bacon sounds good for a lighter version, will try that next time. Thanks, Megs, for a very tasty lunch that I will make again.
- 6 slice smoked bacon
- 4 slice good white bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 59.16 ml good mayonnaise (recommended ( Hellman's or Bestfoods)
- 4-8 tender green lettuce leaves, washed and spun very dry
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a baking wire rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Place the bread slices on a sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes. Turn the slices and toast for 1 more minute, until all the bread is evenly browned. Place 2 slices on a cutting board. Spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce. Peel the avocado and slice it 1/2-inch thick. Toss the avocado slices gently with the lemon juice, and arrange on top of the lettuce leaves. Place 3 slices of bacon on top of each sandwich and then add a layer of tomato slices on top of the bacon. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Spread each of the remaining 2 slices of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and place, mayonnaise side down, on the sandwiches. Cut in half and serve.