1/5 Photos of California BLT's Blat - Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten
This is how my mom made BLT's while we were growing up. You could substitute sprouts for the lettuce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices smoked bacon
- 4 slices good white bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons good mayonnaise (recommended ( Hellman's or Bestfoods)
- 4 -8 tender green lettuce leaves, washed and spun very dry
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Place a baking wire rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- 3Place the bread slices on a sheet pan and toast them for 5 minutes. Turn the slices and toast for 1 more minute, until all the bread is evenly browned. Place 2 slices on a cutting board. Spread each slice with about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise. Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce. Peel the avocado and slice it 1/2-inch thick. Toss the avocado slices gently with the lemon juice, and arrange on top of the lettuce leaves. Place 3 slices of bacon on top of each sandwich and then add a layer of tomato slices on top of the bacon. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- 4Spread each of the remaining 2 slices of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and place, mayonnaise side down, on the sandwiches. Cut in half and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California BLT's Blat - Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.4
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 1128.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: