Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I tried a lot of pie recipes but didn't come up with one that really worked for me. I thought that most either took far too long to bake- leaving me with a hot kitchen and soggy bottom, or were thickened with jello- leaving a very unsatisfactory texture. So I went back to the drawing board- here is my winning version!
- 5 cups blackberries (divide into 2 parts)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with another 1/4 cup water)
- 4 drops blackberry flavoring (Lorann- this is optional but tastes great)
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts, unbaked but frozen (pie crust, plus cut-outs for the top of the pie*)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the sugar, 1/4 cup water and marmalade into a medium sized saucepan and heat over medium heat just until boiling.
- Take the mixture off the heat and stir in half the berries.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until mixed.
- Return to heat and stir until thickened. Add the rest of the berries and the blackberry flavoring- stir well.
- Pour this mixture into the frozen pie shell while it is still hot.
- Using the other pie crust, cut out pieces for the top- we use a large oak leaf cookie cutter, and then arrange the leaves over the top of the pie, leaving spaces in between the leaves for the filling to "breathe". You can also make lattice tops, or any shape you desire.
- Brush the top with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place the pie into the center of the oven and bake for about 35 minutes until the filling appears very thick and the crust is nicely browned.
- Let cool and serve!