1/2 Photos of California Barbecued Tri-Tip Roast - America's Test Kitchen
I watched this episode of America's Test Kitchen, and knew I had to try it! MMMMM! The crust on the meat is outstanding. This is almost more a method than a recipe. I have a little container that you put wood chips in and I used that for the smoking portion. I also used Mesquite. Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pat roast dry with paper towels. Using fork, prick roast about 20 times on each side.
- 2Combine garlic, oil, and salt and rub over roast. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- 3Soak wood chips (if using) in bowl of water to cover for 15 minutes, seal in foil packet, and place over primary burner.
- 4Turn all burners to high and close the lid, keeping grill covered until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Scrape cooking grate clean.
- 5Using paper towels, wipe garlic paste off roast. Rub pepper and garlic salt all over meat.
- 6Place roast on side of grate opposite primary burner and grill, covered, until well browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- 7Leave primary burner on high and turn all other burners off; cook until roast registers about 130 degrees (for medium-rare), about 20 minutes.
- 8Let rest at least 10 minutes and slice against the grain.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for California Barbecued Tri-Tip Roast - America's Test Kitchen
Serving Size: 1 (9 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 437.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: