Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Cook's Country--to go with California Tri-Tip
- 1 lb pink kidney beans, rinsed and picked over (pinquito beans are traditional)
- 4 slices bacon, minced
- 1⁄2 lb deli ham, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup canned tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup bottled taco sauce
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Place the beans and 6 cups water in a large Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, cover and allow the beans to sit for 1 hour.
- Drain the beans; clean and dry the pot.
- Cook the bacon and ham in the Dutch oven over medium heat until the fat renders and the pork is lightly browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the drained beans and 6 cups water; bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to med-low, cover, and cook until the beans are just soft, about 1 hour.
- Stir in the tomato puree, taco sauce, sugar, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, until the beans are completely tender and the sauce is thickened, about 1 hour (if the mixture becomes too thick, add water).
- Stir in the cilantro and vinegar and season with salt to taste.