Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm bringing these to the San Francisco Giants game tomorrow. Asparagus with Bacon sounds like a winner to me. GO GIANTS!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- focaccia bread (cut in 8 pieces, 5x5 inches)
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby lettuce (lightly packed) or 1 1⁄2 cups arugula (lightly packed)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced about 1/4-inch thick (may substitute regular mozzarella, provolone or mild Swiss)
- 16 cooked asparagus spears
- 4 slices pancetta (thick cut and cooked almost crisp and broken into 3-inch pieces) or 4 slices bacon (thick cut and cooked almost crisp and broken into 3-inch pieces)
- Have ingredients at room temperature. Make Lemon Aioli (flavored mayonnaise) by whisking together the lemon zest, juice and garlic, which has been slightly mashed with the salt (use a sharp knife tip on a cutting board). Whisk in the mayonnaise and olive oil. Spread on smooth side of each square of focaccia, using a generous 1/2 tablespoon.
- Divide remaining ingredients among 4 squares focaccia, layered in the order listed. Top with remaining 4 squares focaccia. Cut each sandwich in half into two triangles.
- Sandwiches can be served at room temperature or warm in a 450-degree oven a few minutes, especially if regular mozzarella was substituted for fresh. Sandwiches are not meant to be served hot.
this was yummy, served it with strawberries rather than chips..substituted soy mozz cheese for the mozz cheese and turkey bacon for the reg bacon and miracle whip for the mayo..lower fat and calories to die for good