Prep 1 hr
Cook 36 mins
Wonderful use for all my garden fresh squash and zucchini. Creamy, cheesy, and colorful.
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan, combine the first 5 ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain well; set aside.
- Combine cracker crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, sage, pepper, and remaining salt; fold into squash mixture.
- Spoon over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
This is another of my favorite recipes - I have had it in my Taste of Home recipe collection for a long time. I was about to post it, but found you had beat me to it. Thanks!