Recipe by Chef PotPie
Submitted for ZWT '06. I made these several years ago for an Israeli dinner and everybody liked them. I hope you enjoy them, too!
Top Review by Rainbowelp
Loved these but have a suggestion for them to crisp up easier.
A trick I learned from one of the cooking sites is to put the shredded potatoes into a salad spinner just before mixing them with the other ingredients. You'd be amazed how much liquid your get out of them. They cook quicker and seem to be less oily this way.
- 3 potatoes
- 3 slightly beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, tops and white, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- chunk-style applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and shred potatoes, placing in cold water as you work to prevent browning. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In large bowl stir together all ingredients except applesauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- For each latke drop 1 rounded tablespoonful vegetable mixture into hot oil, spreading to about 2 1/2 inch circle.
- Fry 4-5 at a time for 2-3 minutes until edges are crisp, then turn and fry 2-3 minutes more until golden brown, adding oil as needed during frying.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Cover and keep warm till all are fried.
- Serve with applesauce.