Submitted for ZWT '06. I made these several years ago for an Israeli dinner and everybody liked them. I hope you enjoy them, too!
- Peel and shred potatoes, placing in cold water as you work to prevent browning. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- In large bowl stir together all ingredients except applesauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- For each latke drop 1 rounded tablespoonful vegetable mixture into hot oil, spreading to about 2 1/2 inch circle.
- Fry 4-5 at a time for 2-3 minutes until edges are crisp, then turn and fry 2-3 minutes more until golden brown, adding oil as needed during frying.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Cover and keep warm till all are fried.
- Serve with applesauce.