Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
From The Fix It And Forget It...Crockpot book. Superb taste, and very easy.
- 1 lb dried bean mix, rinsed and drained,with stones removed
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Combine beans and 6 cups water in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain, discarding cooking water, and rinse beans.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours, or high 4-5 hours.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
Very good, very easy, the only change I made was to use chicken broth instead of water. Thanks so much.
This was a good, easy soup that, with a little doctoring, became great. I followed Barb's suggestion to boil the beans and let them set for an hour and then I cooked them, as she did, with a smoked ham hock. At the end of the cooking time my daughter had a bowlful and said it 'needed something' so I added a bit more salt and a few healthy dashes of Tabasco Chipotle sauce...THEN it was great! Thanks Cookin for a good bean soup recipe!
Yummy beans, I didn't use my crock-pot, cooked them on top of the stove, cooked slowly. I covered the beans with water, brought them to a rapid boil, turned off heat, let them set for 1 hour. This helps to release gas. Then cooked them slowly, using a ham hock, added the onions after the beans were about cooked , as I have found that the onion if added early can prevent the beans from getting done(soft) because of the acid,in the onion. We liked the flavors of the spices and added smoke. Thank you cookin, for posting the recipe.