Recipe by Sue Lau
Great mixed bean soup with ham. You can sub a pound of any mixed beans along with the quarter pound of split peas in the recipe. It will all be fine. Stick to your ribs home cooking!
Top Review by Electric Chameleon
Well, I didn't have any dried oregano (I ran out) and I had no idea what Northern bean were, so I used 2 1/5 cups of a dry bean mix which had kidney, lima, black, 3 kinds of split peas, and a bunch of others that I had no idea what they were! I added 1 tsp of chicken soup base. This is a fantastic soup! I loved it! My children liked it at first (ages 6 and 4) but once it started to cool down they found the texture too much. I am surprised they ate it anyway! The texture was a little thinner than a split ham and pea and oh, so flavourful! I added shredded cheddar cheese to the bowls at the table! What a yummy recipe! I will make this for pot lucks, and after being outside in the dead cold winter at -38C! LOL. Easy recipe to make fantastic taste! Thanks for posting it!
- 1⁄2 cup dry navy beans or 1⁄2 cup great northern bean
- 1⁄2 cup dry black beans or 1⁄2 cup kidney bean
- 1⁄2 cup dried lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort through and rinse beans; drain.
- In a large saucepan bring beans and splitpeas along with 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place the drained beans in the crockpot along with the ham, onions, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and last 6 cups of water.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning for salt and pepper if necessary.