Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs 10 mins
Great mixed bean soup with ham. You can sub a pound of any mixed beans along with the quarter pound of split peas in the recipe. It will all be fine. Stick to your ribs home cooking!
- 1⁄2 cup dry navy beans or 1⁄2 cup great northern bean
- 1⁄2 cup dry black beans or 1⁄2 cup kidney bean
- 1⁄2 cup dried lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups water
- Sort through and rinse beans; drain.
- In a large saucepan bring beans and splitpeas along with 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place the drained beans in the crockpot along with the ham, onions, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and last 6 cups of water.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning for salt and pepper if necessary.
Well, I didn't have any dried oregano (I ran out) and I had no idea what Northern bean were, so I used 2 1/5 cups of a dry bean mix which had kidney, lima, black, 3 kinds of split peas, and a bunch of others that I had no idea what they were! I added 1 tsp of chicken soup base. This is a fantastic soup! I loved it! My children liked it at first (ages 6 and 4) but once it started to cool down they found the texture too much. I am surprised they ate it anyway! The texture was a little thinner than a split ham and pea and oh, so flavourful! I added shredded cheddar cheese to the bowls at the table! What a yummy recipe! I will make this for pot lucks, and after being outside in the dead cold winter at -38C! LOL. Easy recipe to make fantastic taste! Thanks for posting it!