Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A mix that will work for a gift for any occasion, makes great soup to boot! Pair with Calico Bean Soup Recipe from Mix posted by me also.
- 4 tablespoons lima beans, large
- 3 tablespoons lima beans, small
- 3 tablespoons red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons split peas
- 2 tablespoons white beans, small
- 2 tablespoons lentils
- 2 tablespoons black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons navy beans
- 2 tablespoons black turtle beans
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- To make the soup mix, combine the beans and place in plastic bag.
- Bags that are decorated for holidays can be found in craft shops.
- Place the spices in a small plastic bag.
- Very small ziplock bags can also be found in craft shops.
Great bean soup mix, and great gift (my friends enjoyed it, too). I did not use large limas, but substitued red beans (for christmas color), and added some barley. I layered the beans (as in photo) and found that for quart size jars, I needed to use 5-6 tblps per layer, but only 2-3 tblsp per layer for the pint size jars. As gifts, these were a big hit for Christmas 2008--thanks so much for posting this gift "recipe" (soup reviewed separately).
I reviewed the recipe separately, but here I just want to add my note that I had to double each of the beans in order to fill a 1 quart mason jar.
This is a great bean soup mix. I didn't have some of the beans so I just added more of the ones I had on hand. I also didn't have dried peppers but added real green peppers and onions to the soup itself when made. Great gift to make for friends and family. Thanks for sharing the recipe.