Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a great soup and very colorful.
- 1⁄2 lb dried great northern beans
- 1⁄2 lb dried red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 lb dry pinto beans
- 8 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham hocks
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans; discard any stones.
- In a large saucepan, heat beans and 8 cups water to boiling.
- Boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover an let stand 1 hour.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse with water.
- In same saucepan, heat butter and cook onion until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add ham hocks, bay leaf, and 7 cups water.
- Heat to boiling.
- Ddd drained beans.
- Return to boiling.
- Cover and simmer beans, about 1 hour or until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cook till beans are soft (I cooked mine about 2 1/2 to 3 hours).
- Remove bay leaf and ham hocks.
- Cool slightly and trim meat from ham bones.
- Add meat back to soup.
- Discard bay leaf and bones.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (it took a lot of salt and pepper).