This is a great soup and very colorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse beans; discard any stones.
- 2In a large saucepan, heat beans and 8 cups water to boiling.
- 3Boil 2 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Cover an let stand 1 hour.
- 6Drain beans in a colander and rinse with water.
- 7In same saucepan, heat butter and cook onion until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add ham hocks, bay leaf, and 7 cups water.
- 9Heat to boiling.
- 10Ddd drained beans.
- 11Return to boiling.
- 12Cover and simmer beans, about 1 hour or until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- 13Cook till beans are soft (I cooked mine about 2 1/2 to 3 hours).
- 14Remove bay leaf and ham hocks.
- 15Cool slightly and trim meat from ham bones.
- 16Add meat back to soup.
- 17Discard bay leaf and bones.
- 18Add salt and pepper to taste (it took a lot of salt and pepper).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calico Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (908 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.6
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 90.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 14.2 g